Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Winter Weekend Get Away

I am choosing not to feel sorry for myself at the present time but to deeply sigh into the peace that surrounds me as my children all sleep and my husband is out at a birthday dinner for his brothers 18th.  Ha that last sentence may imply that my husband is quite noisy - well sometimes perhaps.  Even the TV is off. What a treat!!  All I can hear is the fire crackling, the hum of the computer and me tap tap tapping away on these keys. *sigh*

So how are you?  I mean How are you? Really? I hope that life is treating you kindly and all is well in your neck of the woods or corner of the world.  I have had a sad baby today which as many of you will know, it makes everything you do throughout the day just that much harder.  He is currently growing teeth and has flaming red cheeks. Poor wee boy. Sad boy = snuggly boy so I was blessed with extra snuggles today.

I have so many photos and stories to tell you, I wish I had more time to share them  but I will start with our weekend away.  We were treated to a three nights away down at my Mums house to help celebrate my nephews 5th birthday.  I say treated, it was a treat as due to our current economic status we hadn't been down there for nearly a year.  It was great to get away and see family.
 
Jack Hallgarth
 Handsome nephew!
Aged 5
Loves Transformers, Lightening McQueen and Frank (soda water drink with lime)

 
The kids were SUPER SUPER excited and had even packed there bags three days before we were due to leave. They do not get that from me - I packed the morning we left!
Its times like these that I have no problems getting them into the car, they were waiting for me!
 
Its a tradition in our family to play 'Car Bingo' a game that I constructed after I saw something similar in the toyshop (but way over priced)
 
You each have a laminated sheet with pictures of 16 things you may see along the way. 
On this one we have:-
A pig, plane, seagull, motorbike, rubbish, tractor, café, Suzuki Swift, weather vane, yellow mail box, log truck, school sign, 30km sign, a 'GPU' number plate, a personalised number plate and a boat.
Rules are as follows:-
First person to see item gets a blue dot sticker to put on the corresponding picture.
Someone else has to see it too.
If you find a windsock or a hitch hiker you get a free blue dot.
If someone has found something no one else can use that same thing for a sticker.
Game is paused in a 50km zone or through town.
First to sticker all pictures is the winner.
No fighting or punching or kicking or name calling if someone beats you to something
(that rule is not just for the kids - it get REALLY competitive up the front too)
 

 
It concerns me that Jamie has won this most of the times we have played it - and he is supposed to be watching where he is driving!
 
We are on our way!
 
After a stop to look at a scenic waterfall and a geocache jaunt (which we couldn't find) we stopped off by Lake Taupo for a wee picnic.  God blessed us with a stunning day for it too.

  Lots of locals were eyeing up our lunch.  The kids were most impressed that these Seagulls could catch food in mid-air! 

  Out doing what boys love to do!
(no he is not throwing stones at the duck but skimming them)
 
 Isn't this the weirdest looking duck ever! I am sure its head is misplaced. It looks as if it needs to come forward on its body more either that or it big breasted!!
The Dolly Parton of Ducks perhaps.



 
 This wee pool of water is why this particular place in Taupo is called Hot Water beach.  Off to the left of the photo is a wee spring that is bubbling up from the bottom of a bank. The water is quite hot. Too hot for the kids to leave their fingers in it for too long. People have been know to bathe here, soap and all!
 
 This is a perfect place to stop and have lunch and stretch legs for an hour or so before heading off for another two hour part of the journey.  I should bring a bag of stale bread next time I think, might save half our lunch!
 
 
An early morning walk along Te Awanga beach. This is where I grew up and I would never tire of this view.  Te Awanga is a sleepy wee village. Not at all sandy like most beaches but has some good surf. It makes for an interesting stroll along the beach to see what the tides have washed up.  This particular day the sea was as flat as glass but it can get horrendously huge waves. 

 
Sleepy seaside village.
 Oooo I see some sand - that's a rarity.

  These picture make me smile.  They look so innocent and good paddling away there but unbeknown to you it turned into a full on winter swim after Sophie fell over fully clothed!  After that they were all in.  One day I'll learn to take a towel or two with me.


 
 Cute 'Baby's foot'!

 
 Since Sophie got the wettest we had to strip her off and wrap her up in some one's sweatshirt so she got to ride home in style (in the pushchair). Jesse got treated to a view!
 
All of the cousins and second cousins that attended at Jacks Party.
A party all on its own really.
 
Time with family is always special, especially when a milestone is being celebrated such as a fifth birthday! Celebrating is good. Celebrating is important.
 
Kaitlyn came roaring inside yesterday and announced that her flowers finally had flowers on them. We went out and investigated and had a discussion about Spring Bulbs (in this case Irises) and how they start to flower at the very end of Winter or beginning of Spring. She concluded that we MUST have a Spring Day Party to celebrate!
 
That is a good idea I think, a very good idea.
  I think we just might do that!
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. LOVE it!! And I love seeing your home town that I hear so much about :)What a weekend to remember!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading about the lives and loves of other people share, it inspires me! Please feel free to leave a comment or share your thoughts because it gives me warm fuzzies and I just love to make new friends! Much love Xx