Saturday, August 24, 2013

Shutting my mouth!

One of my dreams for all my children is that they know and I mean really KNOW what they like and what they don't like.  Why? Well its really only in the last 5 or so years that I have discovered what I like and don't like and that is across a whole range of things too.  For years I didn't know what clothes I liked, would second guess the music I liked, didn't even know what furniture or house stuff I like and worse still my preferences would change to align to whoever was around at the time.  I am not entirely sure why that is but I don't have the time and nor is this the place to nut that one out but all I do know that I don't want my children to be the same.

So in order for them to have their own preferences, likes and dislikes I have discovered that I actually need to ...wait for it...SHUT MY MOUTH!!  Yes I do.  I need to zip it with the proverbial zip, lock it and throw away the key! (That is unless they actually ask for my opinion or advice).   My children are their own persons and they do not need me telling them whether or not the will or won't like something, will or won't be able to do it and will or won't find that boring/exciting/scary/hard/easy etc. The list goes on.

 My girls like to dress themselves *sigh* and of course they always want to look beautiful and they most definitely know what they like.  So along with other things I am trying to leave what they want to wear to them. My only requirements 1. They dress for the temperature and 2. They dress for the occasion if we are going out. So no we aren't wearing our togs together with our boots to church.  For the most part the girls both get it right and look quite well put together, other times I have had to look the other way.  The boys well - um yeah.  More often than not we have to point out mud on a rugby shirt or a rip in the crotch before we leave the house. The clothes is just one area that I struggle with but am learning to give it up. 

It came to me one day when one of the kids had picked some 'flowers' (weeds) - they thought they were just beautiful and proudly ceremoniously presented them to me.  So while they thinking  'beautiful', it came to me how quickly ones view of something could be changed forever just by a comment or less than desirable response by another.  All it would of taken would of been me to say -'Ew those are just weeds not flowers, weeds are bad!'  and they would have never looked at those 'flowers' the same again.  Of course I have never said that and hopefully no parent in their right mind do that at a time like that.  I graciously and thankfully accept all 'flowers' given to me and proudly display them in a vase, centre stage!  Like the saying goes 'of all the people in the world, she/he has chosen to give to me - be blessed!'

So the other day, just out of interest I sent Kaitlyn off with my camera and told her to go and find things that she finds beautiful and take photos of what she finds. ( I also used this as a bribe for her to finish her Maths when her interest was seriously waning - needless to say Maths was completed pronto)

Here is what she came up with:-
 A Baby Rabbit that Jamie rescued off the cat and has become a new resident here -
called Thorin!
 
Pink Camellia Flowers
 
 
 A strange looking selfie!
I am glad she thinks she is beautiful!
(but may need some lessons in taking a good selfie - help Kaysha)
 
The pink bow on her pink t-shirt!
 
Polly Pocket house
 
Funky design on the terracotta pot.
 
Rose hips
 on the badly-in-need-of-a-prune rose bush.
 
Her pink my little pony gumboots
 
I will admit I was a little surprised with what she came up with.  I never knew that she thought the terracotta pot with the funky design on it was pretty cool. 
 I am pleased that I did this experiment and I will do this with the other kids also.  I am most interested (and a little nervous) to see what they come up with.
 
As for this scrumptious wee man!
 
Isn't he just delightful.
He is finally getting into this eating thing, up until about five days ago Mamas milk was it.
Now he has branched out and will eat apple, pear, banana, nibble on toast and handfuls of dirt!
Of course!  He looooves crawling around outside and picking at the grass. Also loves to feed the chickens and the ducks.  Has learnt to clap and is getting brave and attempts to stand by himself for short periods of time.  Still hates his car seat and shares my half of the bed with me.  Loves his feet and calf muscles massaged, especially if having trouble going to sleep.  Thinks his Mama totally ROCKS with her singing of random songs that would drive anyone else around the bend but puts him to sleep!
 


 
Enjoy your weekend!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog :) Am looking forward to reading more of yours.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading about the lives and loves of other people share, it inspires me! Please feel free to leave a comment or share your thoughts because it gives me warm fuzzies and I just love to make new friends! Much love Xx