Friday, September 20, 2013

Dabbling in Watercolours

Today being a wet, windy and wild day, I thought I would try my hand at painting.  All morning my girls were cranking out picture after picture of colour.   Mostly flowers and rainbows and a few abstract ones too.
 


I have decided that I am quite in love with watercolours, I just love them. They are very romantic don't you think? I find it quite intriguing that you can change the depth and intensity of the colour just by how much water you have on the brush.  Listen to me! I sound like I have a clue to what I am talking about. Truth is I have NO artistic talent what so ever and have never taken an art class beyond the compulsory ones at intermediate (middle) school level.  Miss Hawkins was just the coolest teacher ever but I doubt she would remember me and my talent (or lack of).  I think I got an 'A' for effort. Even though I didn't have a choice (yes Mum I did say "didn't have a choice") as to whether or not I took art in High School, I don't think I would of chosen that path. I think I would of chosen along the lines of Home Economics/Fabric and Design and maybe even Journalism.  But no, I was hmmmm strongly urged to pursue the areas of Accounting, Economics and Science.  Oh and I can't forget the Japanese can I. It was suggested that I take this language because it would take me a long way in the Mega-Million-Dollar-Deals I was going to be making with my accounting and economics skills. It can't go without saying that I hated Japanese class and was terrible at it.  I can't even remember the poor teachers name and all I do remember of her class was learning to say 'Hello' -  Konichi Wa and the lesson where she tried to teach us how to use chopsticks by picking up jelly beans. Both lessons that I am pretty sure I could of learnt off Sesame Street. Accounting and Economics didn't fare much better either. So I guess I was never destined to be a high flying Japanese speaking business women. Hmmm I strayed a bit far off that course didn't I? Sorry.


Anyway back to the water colours - inspired by my girls who just seem to be able to pick up a brush and always just know what to paint, I thought that I would have a go. And so I stared, and I stared at the white blank paper.  My eyes perused the room for clues on what to paint and then they found something - The NZ Gardener Magazine. After a quick flick through the glossy pages I found a page of flowers in yellow and white and a touch of purple. They didn't look too hard.  Kaitlyn joined me at my side and with our brushes in our hands the first stroke of paint were being applied.   I am glad Jamie wasn't at home while I was doing that because I am pretty darn sure I had the whole tongue hanging out the side of my mouth thing going on. I discovered that there is a bit of an art (pun intended) to water colours and getting the right water-to-paint ratio. I don't think that is something that I will be mastering in a hurry.  The other thing I discover is how hard it is to paint white flowers. I mean they are white without being white.  Maybe I should of been kind to myself and just stuck to painting the yellow ones.  All in all I quite enjoy my wee soiree into the world of water colours.  I am not sure it will become a hobby of mine - I have enough of those that I don't get enough time do to.  But I can certainly appreciate the talent and love that other people have.

Just in case you can't tell what my flowers are, here is my attempt at Lewisia brachycalyx, Ranunculus insignis, Primula denticulata and Eranthis hyemalis (from left to right) PS I have no clue what so ever if they have normal English names.


 
These two are my favourite.
  I think Miss Hawkins might of like these.



Is there anything you wish you could have a go at?
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Hey, you did really well!! They are really pretty - what are you going to do with them? I love water colours as well, but honestly just couldn't paint if my life depended on it. My kids were begging me this weekend to get the paints out and I would of if I knew where they were. Obviously I still have a few more boxes to unpack from shifting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your flowers are just great - really. I was always very un-arty at school too, although I do like looking at art, I just never think to do any of it myself. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. you did great! I was just talking to mum today about my dream of being a preacher woman! Haha.. needless to say this never happened!! :) hope you and your beautiful family are well. xx

    ReplyDelete

I love reading about the lives and loves of other people share, it inspires me! Please feel free to leave a comment or share your thoughts because it gives me warm fuzzies and I just love to make new friends! Much love Xx