Sunday, February 9, 2014

A Moose in the Driveway!

Some may be wondering a little about the title of this post. Given that here in New Zealand we have no moose.  But the title is my new favourite say, my catch phrase if you please.  Its what I say out loud to myself or to whoever is with me when ever I maybe about to hit a speed bump (or pot hole depends how you look at it).
 
 
So let me tell you how this new saying of mine came to be.
It was Christmas Day and we were driving home at night from my sister in laws/ best friend house, it was late and it was dark. The kids were tired and chocca full of yummy Christmassy food as was both Jamie and I.  We were just about to turn down our road and I turned and I said to Jamie "What would you do if there was a moose in our driveway?"  Now I don't know if this is a good thing but he is quite used to my random questions and statements that I make, so he didn't really bat an eyelid and just said "I don't know? But it would be kind of random wouldn't it?"  Well yes and it would be very very highly unlikely that we would ever come across a moose in our driveway.  Like I am talking about being 99.9% sure that that would never happened. (As much as that would be kinda cool being that Jamie is an avid hunter and a lover of all things Alaskan) Hmmm he didn't know what he would do because he wouldn't be expected it, would he?  We left the conversation there and I noticed that five out of six of the kids were asleep and history tells me that waking kids up to get them out of the car and into bed is not a pleasant experience. Ever!
 
 So I said to Jamie "Right lets do this. Instead of expecting the kids to all wake calmly and walk into the house and put themselves to bed without a word of any sort... Lets expect at least four kids to cry, one to discover that their legs don't work anymore and will require carrying,  at least two of them will discover something bleeding and require plasters. All of them will need a drink and then to go to the toilet. At least half of them won't know where their Pyjamas are and will need another drink.  Someone will be itchy somewhere and need cream.  Maybe um two will need spew bowls because they feel sick (one may even vomit) and another two will need a banana because they are hungry.  Some will want the hall light on and some won't.  At least someone will ask for a story even though its like four hours past their bedtime.  And another will want a another drink of water and then spill it in their beds which require a complete pyjama and bed change.  IF we expect all that (and that's more likely that the above will happen than finding a moose in the driveway) if we expect all that and we can ready ourselves to deal with whatever comes our way in a calm and peaceful parent way. Anything less than the above will be a pleasant bonus! Amazingly only about half of that happened AND we totally ROCKED the whole bedtime parenting thing that night with peace and oodles of patience.  Like I mean totally ROCKED IT OUT!
 
So what's with the moose then?  My "moose" is all the unexpected things that could possibly go wrong that could potentially ruin your plans, make you late or steal your peace.  "Moose" can come in all shapes and sizes. Like your child's need to go to the bathroom 57 times while you are out. Or wet pants, spilled drinks, tomato sauce on the new dress.  Its the children who decide to swim in a mud puddle just before bed or the child who rings up from Grandmas late at night and wants to come home. (both of those have happened to me recently) Its the tantrum over the wrong shoes, its the poo explosion, its the scraped knee and the super heavyweight fight over whose pants are whose. 
 
These are the things that we parents deal with on a daily basis.  Sounds exhausting doesn't it. 
Um cos it is!!!!
 There is a saying that goes
"Expect the worst and hope for the best"
I used to think that sounded morbid but now I think its giving some great advice.
While obviously we can't plan for everything little thing to go wrong but my point being, that if we continually have expectations of everything going perfectly to plan all of the time then we are going to be sorely disappointed, our tail will be in a spin, we will lose our cool, our knickers will be twisted,  we will throw our toys out of the cot and maybe even slam a door or two.
And then comes regret.  We feel regret and guilt at losing our cool at our precious children over seemingly small things (but happen to be big when we aren't expecting them).
 
Pause and Breathe
(and again if necessary)
We are learning to do this. If we hear something break, an epic fight breaks out or a thud where there shouldn't of been a thud, we find ourselves saying "moose in the driveway, moose in the driveway"  It gives us a chance to pause, breathe and then go check out whatever crisis is occurring.
 
 

God knows I am not perfect at this, not by a long shot.  The thing with kids is that they are kids, things don't go to plan when kids are involved. They are still learning to be, to fit and to function in this world.  I know some might disagree but come on, be truthful. It would be some superhero family that could get out the door on time, with no yelling, no reminding of shoes, lunches, bags, reminding of time, of feeding of pets or sibling fights about who is sitting where and who sat where last Wednesday.  I tell you, if you expect a "moose" or two, expect something unexpected you may pleasantly surprise yourself at your ability to react in peace and patience.
And really who wouldn't want to be that parent??
 
"Moose" aka face paint
 
"Moose" aka Muddy shoes
 
"Moose" aka Wee girls attempt at tidying the linen cupboard.
 
 

 
Enjoy your week, Moose and all!! xx

1 comment:

I love reading about the lives and loves of other people share, it inspires me! Please feel free to leave a comment or share your thoughts because it gives me warm fuzzies and I just love to make new friends! Much love Xx