Saturday, July 12, 2014

The Book That is Ruining My Life!

Ruining it in a good way...... I think??  I hope??  But one thing I do know that it is turning my world, my life as I know it upside down.  Are books suppose to do that?   I am a reader and given the opportunity I would polish off an entire book in a matter of hours or at least a day.  I couldn't possibly tell you how many books I would of read over my lifetime but I would say that it numbers in the thousands.  But this book.....this book well I have no words.  Like I said before I usually polish off a book in hours but this one I am savoring each chapter, one a day allowing myself time to reflect, to meditate and to sort out my thoughts in regards to what I have just read.   I am enjoying taking the time to do that but still its also driving me nuts not reading on to see what tasty morsels the next chapter has for me.

I can probably count on one hand the books that have any sort of profound effect on me. Actually I can think of three (two of which are series of books but I still count them as one book).

The Externally Focused Church  by Rick Rusaw and Eric Swanson
 - Challenged me to look at the community in which we live that is outside the church doors

The Yada Prayer Group Series by Neta Jackson (a novel - and not as cheesy as the title may suggested)
- Challenged me to look at the power of prayer and the journey that others outside your own circle of friends    are on.

Red River of the North Series by Lauraine Snelling (a novel)
- Challenged me on the power of generosity, community and to dive deep into Gods Word every single          day.

While two of the above are novel series, their message for me was still super powerful and they have left their mark on my life.

But this book...well its a whole new level.  I don't believe for a second that it isn't by accident that I am reading it now. I needed to hear the writers story and her story that precedes her story.  A few weeks back I shared that I launched what was a dream, a vision into reality, into being.    While I share much of the authors heart and passion, it still totally wrecks me as I read her thoughts as though they are my thoughts.  I sit as I read with tears and snot pouring down my face.  Yes it is that glamorous!  Not only do I sob but I break into laughter through tears whilst my children look on in awe, worry, disbelief, embarrassment and wonder at their crazy mother for whom this kind of reaction to anything is not uncommon.  Someone needs to tell them that I am normal??

By now maybe you are screaming at me saying "WHAT THE HECK IS THE BOOK CALLED?"  The book that is ruining my life and causing me to question everything, to seek out a deeper relationship with Jesus, that is encouraging me that even a normal everyday stay-at-home Mama can do BIG things in the name of Jesus when you say YES to Jesus and his will for your life.



Rhinestone Jesus by Kristen Welch 
 is that book.

As I told you it is no accident that I am reading this book now but rather its God ordained timing.  The time when I have put my heart out for all to see and saying "Here is a need, the need is real, the need is raw, the need is desperate! Lets do this"

While our journeys are the a little of the same they are also different. I can't pretend that the need here is even remotely the same as where her story takes place. But here in New Zealand, the urgency for young mums and mums in need to receive help, love, support and guidance is so very real. This is my YES to Jesus!

A few years back Jamie and I prayed that we would be a family of faith and as I said before 'be careful of what you pray for' as God will take every opportunity to take you at your word.  We are living that life, our crazy life that could almost be a book in itself.  While this is scary and unknown it is also exciting and privileged.  We can only benefit from his journey as he only wants the very best for us.  That stirs something deep inside of my heart, it thrills and energizes me all the while disturbing my nice little life as I know it. As if it hasn't been disturbed enough already.

                             What journey are you on?


Check out Kristen's Blog We are THAT family here.


NB//  Just in case something has been stirring in you and you want your heart to be stirred into saying YES to whatever Jesus has in store for you,  Rhinestone Jesus is available from most online booksellers, Amazon, Fishpond or The Book Depository. (Although the cheapest option for New Zealand readers is The Book Depository which is UK based but have free delivery worldwide. Price $13.07)

1 comment:

  1. GREEAAAT book isn't it??? Even if someone is not being challenged before they read it, they will be after they've read it :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading about the lives and loves of other people share, it inspires me! Please feel free to leave a comment or share your thoughts because it gives me warm fuzzies and I just love to make new friends! Much love Xx