Sunday, March 16, 2014

Birthday Season in Full Swing!

NB: No one has been punched in the face in these pictures, my camera has developed a black smudge on the lens and depending on the direction of the lens or the position of the subject it can look dubious!

Yes its the beginning of birthday season in our house.  Birthdays are a really big deal and we celebrate well.  Traditions have been created within our family and continue year after and year. (as traditions do - duh)  This year Kaitlyn turned 7 and while 7 isn't  generally considered by many as a "wow-you-are-7" number (not like 1, 5 or 10), we felt we needed to make it an "oh-my-goodness-you-are-7-that-is-so-cool".

Our birthdays always starts off the night before when decorations go up, then with present opening first thing in the morning and then progress on to birthday breakfast of choice.


Because turning 7 is something to be celebrated, this wee little lady got treated to getting her ear-pierced. She had asked me a couple of weeks prior if she could get "holes in her ears" and I thought that would be a pretty special birthday present.

One very excited girl (and one nervous Mama)


Ear-rings in and a celebratory morning tea was in order!
(I was so glad that was over)

Definitely can't have birthdays without cupcakes!!
Its been a long standing tradition that the kids can choose their birthday cakes or choose to have me make a surprise one for them.
Kaitlyn's request was a giant chocolate cake!  And really you couldn't get anymore chocolate than this one.  Maybe even bordered on too much chocolate - if that is even possible!
(Did I just say that?)


I found this photo on my camera, I am assuming one of the kids took it.
I actually think it looks quite cool in all its blurry-ness!

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday dear Kaitlyn
Happy Birthday to you!



Three days later......
The changing of the decor'!
Sophie wanted a Minnie Mouse party for her special birthday!
She was turning 5!







Birthday wishes from big brothers always appear on the windows all ready for the morning festivities!
When you are five you get to have TWO birthdays!  One for a few friends where party games are played and a special table is set!!  No Big Brothers allowed at this table!
They did get fed though!
You also get to decorate/create you own ice cream cake!
This brings out the control freak in me - I want to help!!!



Her creation!!!

Minnie Mouse would be proud!  You know I am not the most creative person around and I am more than willing to admit that I did not come up with any of these ideas myself. Pinterest is a wonderful thing for those of us who are creatively challenged.  Even for those of us on a budget you can still glean ideas and make them your own.


I will say though that the table cloth was my idea, 
one of my rare (very very rare) creative clever moments!!

The table is set, already to enjoy!




Another Pinterest gleaned idea!


When working with ice cream cakes, you have to work fast as they melt really fast and burning candles on top of them doesn't help either!


Party number TWO!! Is a party with family, extended family, good friends and important people in 
Sophie's life!

More Cupcakes!
Sadly I can't take credit for these beauties!
Thanks Aunty Tash!


Presents!!
Presenting opening for little kids always has the potential to be a little embarrassing.
In my observation of many many children opening presents - they ALL just want to open them as fast as they can and most will say at least one inappropriate thing. I don't think they are being rude - its just EXCITING and they are LITTLE!!
I have learnt not expect any child to gush over a present I give them when they open it.
 Life is too short to get offended over it!

Sophie definitely had a Minnie Mouse theme going with her presents this year.
We love Minnie Mouse around here!

This year Sophie's choice of cake was....a unicorn or a volcano!
Random choices and poles apart!
I choose a volcano purely for selfish reasons....1. a volcano is far easier to make and takes less time and 
2. A unicorn really???  Did you not see my last attempt at an animal!!


Sophie was very very blessed with her two special days!  They are so many people that are important and that we appreciate their input into her, ours and other kids lives! 



Celebrating is an important part of our family life. I don't think as a society we do it enough or very well.
That is why we make an effort to create a big deal of even seemingly small things (or seemingly unimportant birthdays like 7) because its those small things that make up the majority of our lives.

"Birthdays give us the opportunities to stop and appreciate all the beautiful things and people that we have been Blessed with." -Author Unknown

Happy Birthdays Girls!!!

 See below the reason why I did not attempt an unicorn!  Jesse's 1st birthday cake was suppose to be a duck but turned out looking like a .....seagull with a broken beak and issues with its feathers perhaps?





3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous!!! You do birthdays REALLY well!!! And your kids will be ever grateful.
    Ps. Your duck was very cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool as Sharni. Hey I know how to clean camera lenses reasonably properly have the equipment) so if you want me to grab the camera and do it I can fix that smudge. Also if you have a favourite pic you want the smudge photoshopped out of, I'm happy to do that too. (Though you might already know so no worries if not needed). Jjst give me a bel/text/fb etc! Hope the party went really well, I WAS thinking of you, was just incredibly shattered and self-piteous (from being feeling so shattered) haha to call on Sat night to see how it went! Loks like another success! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops sorry for all the type errors! Shocking!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading about the lives and loves of other people share, it inspires me! Please feel free to leave a comment or share your thoughts because it gives me warm fuzzies and I just love to make new friends! Much love Xx