Never in a million years would I have ever thought I would hear the stories I have...let alone seen the stories. Each story is someone's life.
Today I had a bundle to deliver to a mum of a 6-month-old in a neighboring town. The bundle nestled in the back seat beside my own sweet 10-month-old baby girl. I see her in the reviewer mirror with her fingers in her month. She smiles at me. We make a turn, and another...I slow the car to look for street signs. I notice the houses and getting shabbier and the lawns are getting longer. I am glad for the company of my mum today because if I was alone, I'd be a little apprehensive. I turn down the street and slow when I reach the number that matches my paper.
I walk up the driveway to a back house carrying the box of winter clothes and hand knitted woolens. I am not blind to the beer bottles, empty glasses, cigarette butts, the torn rubbish bags. I step on to the deck and pick my way over broken toys, a deflated blow-up pool and rotted deck slats. I knock on the door...no one answers...they often don't even if they are home. Embarrassed, can't be bothered, hiding? Who knows but all are very real possibilities. The curtains closed yet I see mold and rips... thick condensation drips down the windows on the inside leaving trails behind. No one is coming so I leave the bundle of lovingly folded and packed clothes at the door and leave.
Sad I didn't get to meet the mum but thankful I didn't have to stay.
I get back into the car and see my youngest daughter smiling and I am thankful. Mum and I drive two blocks and cross a main road and park outside a cafe for brunch. Here so close to where we just were but worlds apart. As I sit and wait for my coffee and bacon it doesn't go unnoticed that here people are driving range rovers and beamers. That nicely made-up folk walk their wee fluffy dogs with coffee in hand. That the boutique shoe shop sells sandals for upwards of $200. I see the strollers that cost a small fortune and the wee babies that are outfitted entirely in merino.
This is not the first time the world simply doesn't make sense.... unfair almost. Two worlds only 2.1km apart from each other. The babies we help don't have a choice and sometimes.... neither does mum. To be continued
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love reading about the lives and loves of other people share, it inspires me! Please feel free to leave a comment or share your thoughts because it gives me warm fuzzies and I just love to make new friends! Much love Xx