Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Tall Poppy Syndrome

You would think at the ripe age of 42....one would think you had let go of all baggage and grown up. Not care what others thought, be free-spirited, unthreatened and brave. Secure, confident and sure-footed. Currently I'm none of those..... I did something really brave this week.... like supercalifragilisticexpialidocious brave. I put ALL of myself out there for the world to see.

For me that's big...I have never ever been popular. Struggled with my appearance, my weight, the lack of cool clothes or money and remained outside when I wanted in. Fortunately for me I now have a small group of wonderful friends who are very good at keeping me on track and believing in myself.... especially when I'm walking scared or living in doubt.
Part of our kiwi culture unfortunately is the tall poppy syndrome...you do something different, better or speak up and out...and one of 2 things happen. You get stones thrown at you or you get silence. Truthfully, I don't know what's worse. No one like someone else winning or doing well.

Our US counterparts on the other hand.... well, they are the complete opposite. Sharing expertise, encouragement and making sure you have the same shot at something as they do.
So, if you are reading this and you need some encouragement...some support, someone to champion you along or general warm fuzzies...I'm your gal. Flick me a message....and I'll inflate your bubble!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading about the lives and loves of other people share, it inspires me! Please feel free to leave a comment or share your thoughts because it gives me warm fuzzies and I just love to make new friends! Much love Xx