Friday, January 15, 2021

Family Ties

I firmly believe that its traditions that tie us to our past and to our future.

As a couple there are traditions that we brought into this marriage, there are things that we have created together as a family....and look out if you try to change it or skip it. The kids won't let you.... EVER!
They in turn will bring those into their own marriages and families and will create their own.
But sometimes it things too don't you think....
For me its Grandmas button tin which I have. Does anyone have button tins now? A myriad of colours, sizes and shapes. Some are new, most are cut from clothes that are ruined and discarded. I remember sewing on her Singer Pedal Sewing machine.
There is one thing that I so desperately wished I inherited...it was her flour bin. Actually, more a vessel...a large pottery urn shaped thing with a wooden lid that fitted snuggly onto the top. It could hold an entire 5kg bag of flour. I have no idea what happened to it which makes me so sad...as I remember burying my hands into and playing with the soft flour while she baked. Terribly unhygienic I know.
I've been on the lookout for a flour vessel that's not plastic and finally settled on a glass jar...not quite big enough to hold a 5kg bag of flour. But every time I look I fondly think of her.
Is there an item or two that ties you to a loved one or to the past?



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading about the lives and loves of other people share, it inspires me! Please feel free to leave a comment or share your thoughts because it gives me warm fuzzies and I just love to make new friends! Much love Xx