I have been thinking a lot about judgment. You know the old saying "don't judge a book by its cover" .... well to be honest we all do it consciously or subconsciously. I had the privilege of being interviewed last week by a online magazine who wanted some photos to go with the article.... including one of Jamie and I together. Even though this is one of my favorites I was reluctant to send it to her. I felt it was too blingy therefore too deceptive. We look like a nice well put together couple... your normal white middle class family.
Why was I so reluctant to send it to her? You see this photo was taken at a family wedding that was held in the garden at our house...our rented "falling-down-just-had-paint-slapped-on" house. This photo was also taken when we were the poorest, we have ever been.... zero dollars in the bank and very minimal food in the pantry. The dress and jewelry I was wearing was bought with money gifted to me by a friend. I mean we were poor! Not to mention six months later we were homeless and living with friends. But you would never know by looking at that photo.... deceptive don't you think...which is why I struggled sending that photo in.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love reading about the lives and loves of other people share, it inspires me! Please feel free to leave a comment or share your thoughts because it gives me warm fuzzies and I just love to make new friends! Much love Xx