Monday, February 25, 2019

We Are All The Same

Today was shopping day and as I stood at the check-out waiting as the operator scanned through my trolley full of groceries and began watch a young heavily pregnant mum and her son approach the self-serve. She looked as though she had a tough journey with some stories to tell, unkempt hair and clothes that needed a good wash

I thought to myself I would love to be in the position to pay for her groceries and thought maybe I should.... that was until I saw what she was buying. cigarettes, a can of 'V' and a large bottle of cheap cola. Hmmm maybe not. I try not to judge telling myself maybe she was buying cigarettes for someone else. (one thing I have learnt it's easy for us to make judgements and generalizations about someone and not know their back story). I then watched as her card declined twice...and I felt sorry for her and was highly embarrassed on her behalf.... perhaps if she put those smokes back.... I saw her scurry around on her phone obviously switching money around into her account. Accepted and she went on her way.

Can you guess what happened... next my card declined!!!! WHAT!!!! Talk about embarrassing! Now I was the one scurrying around on my phone ringing my husband to transfer funds into my account. My next thought was of her and how we weren't that much different really. We just looked different on the outside. "There but by the grace of God go I" comes to mind.
I tell you this not for you to feel sorry for me.... we all have adulting bills like insurance come out at inopportune times.... but maybe that is what happened to her too. I have been thinking all day how we are all the same, all in need of the saving grace of God. We all need His love, His mercy, His peace...no matter who we are and what we look like. God loves us all.... uniquely and fiercely. So perhaps the next time you see someone in your travels that appears so different...stop and think how much the same you might be. I guarantee you'll think differently. You might see them as God does.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading about the lives and loves of other people share, it inspires me! Please feel free to leave a comment or share your thoughts because it gives me warm fuzzies and I just love to make new friends! Much love Xx