Monday, March 14, 2016

Moments in March Day 14 - Back to Normal

*phew! It's back to so-called normal around here today. No more birthdays for six weeks or so.....although we do have a special celebration coming up soon. I'll tell you about it closer to the time. 


Jamie has a spot of work with a friend so we were left to do school. A grey rainy kind of day, almost lends itself to snuggling and reading all day. Oh I wish! 


I did read but out loud....we are reading Danny the Champion of the World at the moment. We were at the chapter where Danny received the cane across his hand for so-called cheating and insolence. This led to a discussion about how things were back in the "old days". 


The kids couldn't believe that I received three smacks while at school and all before I was 7. I remember each and everyone of them. Ghastly teachers! One was for running in the rain because I decided to take a short cut, the other was for writing on a maths card instead of my book and the other was for squealing in the toilets. I squealed because I was being chased and everyone knows you squeal when you are being chased. Like I said ghastly teachers! I changed schools when I was 7 and never received another smack. I would like to think I was a good girl but maybe it was because smacking at school became a big no no. Really it was because I was good! 


Anyway we did a spot of home economics today (is that what they call it still ) we made passionfruit sauce. They collected passionfruit that had fallen off the vine and boiled it up with sugar to make yummy sauce. Of course we had to have a taste test on vanilla ice cream.....delicious! 


Had a wee lesson in physics/chemistry as well, as we discussed the whole vacuum concept when you put hot fruit into a hot jar and when you let it cool it sucks the poppy lid down! They found that quite fascinating. 


We are cutting back the technology in the house out the moment.....so they seem to be detoxing a bit today, that made for a crazy day. Right now though they are all outside playing in the trampoline! Love these longs evenings! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading about the lives and loves of other people share, it inspires me! Please feel free to leave a comment or share your thoughts because it gives me warm fuzzies and I just love to make new friends! Much love Xx