Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Musings of May Day 4 - Cake No. 55

A word of warning to you all....if you start a tradition make sure you are willing to carry it on for a long long time. 


Surferson turns 15 tomorrow and this is his choice for a birthday cake. You will know that it's not just mere Roman numerals but the symbol for a popular Xbox/Playstation game if you are parent of a teenage boy and/or gamer. This is also my 55th cake that I have made for my kids birthday. I have made them all apart from SurferSon's first two cakes. 


I am most definitely not a pro at it and I have had my fair share of cake disasters. I am thinking back to the duck cake I made Jesse for his first birthday that looked more like a sick seagull. Or the cake for my son Jayden that was suppose to be a Punta that turned out to be a giant pile of lollies and chocolate. Or the Lego cake I made Tom that was attacked by ants overnight and left inedible. 


So this is what I do seven times a year now make cakes to order to the theme of my kids choice or if they want they can choose a surprise cake, that's when I get to choose. I will not work with fondant unless I absolutely have to as the stuff hates me and have been known to let loose with a few choice words and icing has flown across the bench. So I stick with buttercream it's safer for everybody. 


I also make way too much icing and have oodles left over for me to use for something else. Of course I never do. Good intentions and everything. 


Here's to tomorrow and a happy 15th birthday and cake! What traditions do you have in your family?



2 comments:

  1. He will be stoked - nice one Mama x

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family traditions mainly involved lots of coffee and ice cream ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading about the lives and loves of other people share, it inspires me! Please feel free to leave a comment or share your thoughts because it gives me warm fuzzies and I just love to make new friends! Much love Xx