Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Our October Day 18 - God Whispers

I read a book once called The Power of a Whisper by Bill Hybels....I thoroughly recommend it as it will certainly challenge you about listening for the whisper of God. Ever since I read it I have not only been blessed beyond belief and blown away from the times that I did listen and act on a God whisper to kicking myself in regret when I didn't.  Like the time I picked up an egg to use in baking and felt God say.....crack it in a separate bowl it may be rotten....I have never thought that before nor did I have any reason to think it....I didn't listen or act instead I cracked it into a bowl full of creamed butter and guess what it was rotten! Oh the stink!

So I am learning that its best to act on whatever God might be whispering in your 'ear' to do. Now as I tell this story please hear my heart...I am not trying to blow my own trumpet but to merely illustrate how much acting on a God whisper can make a difference.

One of my Loving Arms mums rang me this afternoon and asked if I would like to come and meet her baby at the local birth centre...of course I jumped at the chance. Driving on the way there I felt God told me to "go buy and take her some flowers". Again this is not something I normally do, going around buying flowers for people let alone one of our Loving Arms mums but I was like 'ok' and had an instant thought about where I was to buy them from.  But after my first thought I was like...nah they might be expensive I'll get them from somewhere else...but God had another word for me on that and so I just bought them from that first place that popped into my head.....a funky little shop called The Bird Cage. Now I bought a cute little posy of pink and white flowers.....I don't go bananas over flowers but I thought they were nice.

So when I met up with mum I gave her a hug and presented the flowers to her saying "These are for you....congratulations brave mama!"  She was so unbelievable over the moon and gobsmacked. She told all her family about them because she was so excited. No one had every brought her flowers before...she was really touched. This seemingly very small act opened up the doors for good and real conversation between not only her and I, but between her family and me. She opened up about her life, some of her struggles and her fears. She was a real sweetie.

Just a mere act of obedience, a mere act of kindness can truly change the course of someones moment, day, week or perhaps even a lifetime. In the grand scheme of things it was just a small cost on my part for a huge blessing for someone else, someone that would never be able to 'pay me back', someone who needed just a little bit of kindness and beauty in their day. Seeing her joy, being able to hear her heart and seeing how much she was in love with her baby was my pay off...and thats all I needed.

So the next time you feel like God whispers something to you...perhaps a thought to ring or text someone, perhaps to crack an egg in a separate cup before use, perhaps to take someone a cake or perhaps buy someone a coffee...it could be anything. I encourage you to stop, listen, act....don't think about the cost, the inconvenience, finding the cheapest option or any other reason why not...just do it. You will be blessed....plus your life gets all the more unpredictable and very exciting!!

So Eli told Samuel, "Go and lie down, and if he calls you, say, 'Speak, LORD, for your servant is listening.'" So Samuel went and lay down in his place. - 1 Samuel 3:9




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading about the lives and loves of other people share, it inspires me! Please feel free to leave a comment or share your thoughts because it gives me warm fuzzies and I just love to make new friends! Much love Xx